Sunday, April 5

MBA or M.Tech


Preparatory school, school, high school..under graduate, finally a graduate. These have been the past nineteen years of my life. Had things gone according to plan, I would have joined the famed sweatshops in the backwaters of the global IT village. Working hard to earn and then parting with the newly accessible expendable income by binging at shops, partying, and shopping some more.

But life has curious little ways of having it's own way. Finally when everyone of my peers, and my parents seemed to be happy at having done their bit to provide the honeycomb of our Society, with one more perfectly obedient worker bee, called employee. Excessively eager to while away its mundane existence to the whims of some leader bee, nomenclature boss. This curious little phenomenon called recession sent the economics of the world on a topsy-turvy ride of a roll coaster into the seeming abyss of negative growth where restructuring is the norm and the word recruitment is heard as the death knell. An elaborately cruel joke was played out on each of us, the new graduates, the freshers. As the new master of ours had already committed to allow us to serve them, so they could not simply relinquish their controls over us because of the fear of ill repute about being bankrupt enough not to be able to keep their word. So, they simply told us that they didn't need our services just yet. Wait if we can, or thy merciful selves will fully understand our eagerness to start serving some other masters.

This quirk of fate seems to have landed me into a nasty situation. For the first time, I have to make a decision which has not been already chosen for me. New jobs seem to be sparse, and good ones are outright rare. So the best way, and the only way I know until now leads right back to the college. Study some more, and weather out this recession sheltered in the deep confines of the womb of some able university. Thus, though ideas like IAS, entrepreneurship, banking jobs still keep turning over in the emptiness of my mind. They have been quite summarily awarded the status of hibernation.

Being an engineer by qualification, I got two most obvious options for me to choose from..Master of Business Administration or Master of Technology. MBA is something which has an image of leading to quick mega bucks. Getting to lead several other promising indivisuals to mint money for me. And it was this lure which had me try my luck with with CAT. This year, after my second attempt, I got 93.11 %ile. This was an improvement of almost 7 %ile over my first attempt, so I am pretty sure I will get the best calls if I risk it again.
Where as talking about the second choice, M. Tech. This is what I have done and loved my entire life. Science. Basically I like computer programming, so I ended up with a Computer Sc. Engineering degree from a reputed private college in Kolkata. But the thing was I liked only the computer programming part, so I ended up being pretty terrible at all my other subjects. Which means that if I want to do an M. Tech..I am gonna be working my a*s off preparing for the entrance exams. The problem does not lie with the hard work, but the fact that I have worked hard to reach 93%ile in CAT and if now I switch I will be letting go of all of this.

So I want and need all the help from everyone of you out there reading this post. Give your suggestions, feedback, opinion, ideas or absolutely anything which you can think of as being relevant to solving this dilemma of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha I'll be in exactly this position one year from now...go with what you think you'll enjoy. If its MBA then work on the nxt attempt if ur more tech than anything go for the MS option.
    Funnily enough I too have been trying to choose between LLM and MBA...so I know how hard it is to choose while its very simple to say.
    But thingsll fall right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx akshaya..i hope things do fall into place..but these are desperate times rite nw..

    ReplyDelete

Zingers of Opinion..

 
//Script for Google Analytics